Aug 20, 2018
Ecommerce SEO Made Simple
If you are struggling to get your eCommerce store to rank and your just not getting the right traffic, then it sounds like you need to get into Google’s good books.
The way to do that is simple! E-commerce SEO.
I’m going to show you my 5 part strategy to get from the bottom of the search engines to the top.
#1 Get Your Site Audited!
Getting your site audited will solve a ton of problems and make it easier for Google to crawl. You must ensure your site has a strong foundation and doing this first is mega important.
There are many tools out there which will help you with an SEO audit:
These tools will help identify a number of problems from duplicate content right the way through to 302 redirects.
#2 Check Your Site Speed!
In my personal experience, I have been able to increase earnings by $30,000 in 6 hours by increasing my website’s speed.
So listen up...
If your store takes more than 3 seconds to load, you can lose up to 40% of your visitors.
So unless you want to say goodbye to all those potential earnings, go to GTMetrix and get a speed analysis.
As well as getting your actual site speed you will also get a list of recommendations of exactly what you need to focus on to improve your site speed.
Whether you work through this list yourself or hand it over to a VA to take care of, it doesn’t matter. As long as you do it now and then you put a reminder in your calendar to keep retesting every now and then.
#3 Review the Architecture of Your Website.
Google crawlers look at the architecture of your website and to keep them happy, it needs to be simple.
A good rule to stick to is to make sure your visitors can get from your homepage to your product pages within 3 clicks. This will not only make it easier for search engines to crawl but also your visitors!
This super useful graph from Screaming Frog is what you want your stats to look like….
If it has a lot more pages to click through for example 7 – 10, then you’ve got some serious work to do.
#4 Find your keywords.
Keyword research for eCommerce stores can be a tricky business.
You need to find keywords with these factors in mind...
- Search Volume - the best way to determine the best volume for a keyword is to take other high-traffic keywords as a benchmark.
- Relevance - picking relevant keywords is simply a matter of thinking what you can offer that matches the given keyword.
- Competition - you must pick keywords for which you can realistically rank.
- Intent - you want people to get to your website who are at the right stage of the sales funnel.
#5 Optimizing Your Store.
You need to review the following...
- Your Title Tags - Adding your target keyword in the title tag will help you increase the rankings of your pages.
- Meta Descriptions - a great way to include some additional keywords and really drive home your message to attract clicks from the search results.
- Headings and Subheadings (H1, H2, etc.) - you should always try to add both your main keywords as well as your LSI keywords
- Images - make the filename fit the product name, make sure to add a relevant alt-tag and optimize the size of the pictures to lower its size and make your pages faster to load.
- Schema Data - Integrating microdata and rich snippets can not only help you stand out against the big boys but also help you draw more qualified traffic and increase your CTR even further.
- Internal Linking For E-commerce - allows you to establish your own anchor text, which can help you with ranking for your top keywords.
- Show Your Value Proposition - the value proposition is what makes your company stand out from the rest; it’s what makes a visitor want to buy from you.
- Use As Many High-Quality Pictures As Possible - one of the main challenges customers face online is the inability to touch, try, and feel the products they shop.
- Write Amazing Product Descriptions - having great product descriptions allow customers to understand what a product is and what it does.
- Use Testimonials (or customer reviews) - Testimonials work because people want to see what other people think. Psychologists call this “social proof,” and it’s an easy way for you to increase your conversion rate and trust.
- Link building - The more high-quality links you get pointing to your store with a favorable anchor text, the more it will help you increase your store’s positioning in the search engines.
There are many strategies floating around the web on how you can optimize your store so I have cut out the confusion and given you the 5 best strategies for the best results.
For more information visit full e-commerce SEO tutorial on exactly how to implement the above strategies.